Location: Van Nuys, CA
Clay Lacy Aviation is looking for a strong Assistant Director of Maintenance to join our team. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years experience in successfully managing maintenance projects. If you are goal-oriented, dedicated, and proactive and enjoy a customer-centric culture, we would be delighted to get to know you better.
Assistant Director of Maintenance reports to the Director of Maintenance for regulatory functions and to the Vice President of Maintenance operationally. He is responsible for all aspects of Aircraft Maintenance Management on all part 135 and 91 aircraft. The responsibilities include managing employees, Planning, Quoting, Scheduling, Oversight of Maintenance projects, to include pre-purchase evaluations, Aircraft 135 conformity, aircraft deliveries and adheres and promotes the Clay Lacy Vision, Mission and Values daily.
- Serve as an active member of the Clay Lacy Team, share its vision, mission and values.
- Adhere to policies and procedures of Clay Lacy Aviation.
- Must have excellent Leadership Skills to Mentor and Motivate employees.
- Will be representing 135 aircraft management during FAA audits and visits when DOM is not available.
- Ensures the timely completion of forecasting and budgeting the upcoming Maintenance events by assigned DOMs or Maintenance Controllers annually.
- Ensures that all DOMs and MX-Controllers Maintain the aircraft to the highest standard through complying with preventive maintenance, best mechanical practices.
- Understand and Plan for upcoming regulatory mandates to maintain aircraft status and support upcoming missions
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, projects and tasks.
- Willing to travel to oversee aircraft projects and inspections.
- Willingness to work long and sometimes irregular hours.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Establishing and maintain records as required by the FAR’s, manufactures, and company policies.
- Ensuring that high level of customer service is provided to the company employees and clients.
- Representing the company in aviation matters through trade associations, the FAA, state or municipal aviation bodies, airport management, community organizations and contract agencies as directed.
- Maintaining high morale through an awareness of company and department policies, employee development programs and periodic department meetings for the two-way communication of ideas, goals and objectives.
- Communicates safety issues to CLA Home Base Safety Officer.
- Must have broad knowledge of and experience with the maintenance of corporate aircraft category.
- Requires an Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) certificate and an Inspection Authorization (IA).
- Responsible for managing a team of Maintenance Controllers.
- Responsible for managing a team of Aircraft Assigned Director of Maintenance personnel.
- Assists with development of department policies.
- Assists with preparation of the annual operating budget.
- Assists with assessment of aircraft cost studies.
- Assists with establishment of performance appraisal procedures and dismissal standards.
- Establishing and maintaining records as required by FARs, manufacturers and company policy.
- Monitoring these records, if maintained by an outside agency.
- Establishing maintenance safety rules and procedures.
- Ensuring that department personnel are thoroughly familiar with company policies, appropriate FARs, pertinent manuals, practices and publications.
- Helping coordinate activities of the maintenance department with flight operations.
- Helping ensure that maintenance and flight crew personnel understand the company’s objectives.
To achieve the mission for this position, the Assistant Director of Maintenance must produce the following critical actions and results:
Organizational Development- Create the necessary infrastructure which will be able to supports CLA’s five-year Strategic Plan, one that is scalable to support this growth and improves our Aircraft onboarding for part 9, Onboarding and conformity for part 135 aircraft. This will include:
- Train and create aircraft oversight/onboarding crew possibly using existing resources, this would include trained technicians who are able to Represent CLA, have the right technical background to evaluate used aircraft general condition, to be able to provide oversight during a pre-purchase evaluation, to be able to conduct 135 conformity or any part 91 on-boarding support functions.
- Standardize all the forms/checklists used to perform any of the tasks required during the on boarding of an aircraft.
- Develop the necessary skill sets as needed to support new organizational structure and support future growth.
Complete the CLA aircraft on-boarding SOP– working closely with our subscription Manager complete the aircraft onboarding SOP, test and improve the process to finalize by the end of Q2.
- CLA Operational Safety-
- Implement initiatives to ensure a proactive / safety driven culture for CLA’s Operations and Maintenance team. Drive to completions the flowing projects:
- FOQA implementation.
- Implement Audit SOPs to include:
- Part135 Aircraft Records
- Part 91 Aircraft Records
- 145 Vendors
- Remote Based DOMs
- Local Based DOMs
Support Aircraft Management Sales Team– as required, support CLA’s Aircraft Managements Sales team in closing deals with potential customers. As the face of CLA, it is critical that we reflect and project an industry leading Flight Operations to level 1 customers.
CLA Control Center– Ensure that CLA MX Control fully supports CLA’s Control Center in VNY.
Pilot Indoctrination Process- Attend each pilot Indoc event to provide 135 MX oversight, communication, and process training and include introduction of the MX controller. assigned.The success of the Assistant DOM achieving the objectives described above will be measure by the following:
- CLA On-boarding process is finalized and approved by April 2019.
- Pilot Indoc SOP finalized by May 2019.
- CLA Flight Operations organization support structure (MX Control Representation) is developed and approved by April 2019, new organization is staffed and operational by June 2019.
- FOQA is implemented on targeted aircraft by May 2019 and actionable data is being proactively produced and acted on.
- All Audit SOPs are finalized and implemented by August 2019.
- Review the existing SOPs for all communication methods between the MX Control, DOM group and Charter and operations team, standardize the process by November 2019.
Education: 4-year College Degree Preferred
Should possess a minimum of Ten (10); years of A&P related duties with some experience in maintaining the type of aircraft in interest. A minimum of three (3) years of experience in managing Aircraft and DOM duties. Must be familiar with FAR Part 135 regulations.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to prioritize and organize work flow.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skill.
- Able to handle sensitive documents in a very confidential manner.
- Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Able to take initiative and execute assigned tasks in a timely and flawless manner.
- Strong teamwork acumen with a profound ability to work under extreme pressure.
- Strong passion for working in a fast paced and result oriented environment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Superior presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent project & time management capabilities.
- A creative driver who is also goal driven and detail oriented.
- Exemplify consistent professionalism, good humor and ethical behavior.
- Strong interpersonal and customer relationship skills.
- Must possess and maintain a current and valid US issued FAA A&P Certificate.
- Must submit to and be capable of passing a required drug test.
Clay Lacy Aviation offers an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, matching 401(K) and more to employees in full-time positions.
Equal Opportunity Employer
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the company provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
This job description does not constitute a contract for employment
Great people, providing an exceptional aviation experience.
To provide the highest level of safety, service and value to our clients.
About Clay Lacy Aviation
Founded in 1968 by legendary aviator and industry pioneer Clay Lacy. Today, Clay Lacy Aviation is considered the world’s most experienced operator of private jets. Prominent individuals and leading corporations trust Clay Lacy for aircraft management, charter, sales, acquisitions, maintenance, avionics, interiors and FBO services. The company has aircraft operations and regional offices across the U.S., including fixed-base operations and part 145 repair stations at Van Nuys Airport in Los Angeles and Seattle’s Boeing Field. With the most knowledgeable team in the industry, Clay Lacy delivers superior safety, service and value to aircraft owners and jet travelers worldwide. Visit www.claylacy.com